VOCAL’s AMA bridges the gap between legacy analog modems and modern LTE communications. An Analog Modem Adapter (AMA) enables the elimination of expensive analog PSTN connections by providing a solution that allows for reliable modem operation over IP and LTE networks. The AMA connects legacy POS, telemetry devices/modems, fax and other analog devices to IP networks including mobile, radio, and satellite (Iridium, etc) networks.
- Transfer data / faxes over IP networks
- Eliminate phone lines and expenses
- Secure communications
- Custom solutions available
What is an Analog Modem Adapter?
An analog modem adapter (AMA) is a device, similar to an Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA), that enables a physical voice-band dial-up modem, that would normally connect to a telephone line, to instead connect directly to an IP network. An AMA locally demodulates the modem audio and extracts the data stream. This data stream is sent over a secure TCP/IP connection where it can either be remodulated to communicate with another modem endpoint or it can be directly consumed by a backed data processing system.
How is LTE connectivity used?
LTE allows the AMA to be installed in remote locations where ethernet connectivity is not available. Traditionally, these locations were only serviced by analog POTS lines that could not be removed because there were no other viable options. VOCAL’s AMA LTE technology has provided a path for migration. By locally terminating the modem communications and extracting the underlying data stream, the AMA is able to complete the modem call more reliably and using less LTE data compared to a Voice Band Data call.
What kinds of modem applications can be supported over LTE?
Utility meters can often be installed in remote locations where ethernet connectivity is not typically availably such as substations, pipelines, or remote outposts. VOCAL’s AMA provides a solution for continuity of service when removing analog POTS lines. The AMA allows both polling from the central office and dial backs from the meters and PLCs. The AMA also segments the metering connections away from the public telephone network, increasing security by eliminating adversarial dials into the devices.
Alarm Over IP (Optional)
Alarm panels use multiple communications methods including DTMF, tonal and low speed modems (actually some use V.32/V.34 modems while most simply use FSK Bell 102 for V.21). VOCAL’s AMA may be optionally configured to support alarm panel operations with AT command set support for precise tone generators and detectors and automation for SIA transactions.
Point-of-Sale Over IP (Optional)
The AMA supports for Point-of-Sale (POS) terminals which use typically V.22 modems with a quick connect process (used by Veriphone) to send ASYNC or HDLC framed data. VOCAL supports all common non-standard methods for POS applications including byte timing in both the AMA and SAMS configurations.
- PSTN to IP with support for multi-line FXS and FXO ports and multiple Ethernet ports
- High speed data modulation – V.34, V.90, V.92
- Low speed data modulation – V.32, V.32bis, V.22, V.22bis, V.23, V.21
- 2 Telephone FXS Ports, 1 Ethernet (Other configurations available)
- Multi-band LTE Category 1
- IoT/M2M Optimized
- UMTS/HSPA+ and GSM/GPRS/EDGE
- Supports Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile networks
- Dual SIM Cards
- Ethernet WAN Port RJ-45
- Fax over IP support (optional)
- Point of Sale (POS) support (optional)
- Alarm Panel support (optional)
- Bell modulation – Bell 212, Bell 103
- Data protocols – V.42, MNP 2-4
- Data compression – V.42bis, MNP 5, V.44
- AT command set – V.250, Industry Standard
- PPP encapsulation
- TCP/TLS, UDP/DTLS data delivery
- IP tunneling
- VPN support
- Network stack with NAT/firewall support
- Quality of service configurability
- Flexible configuration and provisioning options
- Multilingual Web configuration via built-in Web server and hierarchical user levels
- Remote administration and firmware update
VOCAL’s AMA software data modulations include V.34, V.90, V.92, V.32/bis, V.22/bis, V.21 and V.23. The software is part of a fully integrated and highly configurable VoIP software solution with a Network Stack, SIP Stack, secure communications, full-featured Telephony software with a comprehensive data modem software library.
VOCAL’s AMA software is modular and optimized for DSPs and conventional processors from TI, ADI and other leading vendors. Our AMA software is available for licensing as a library or a complete design with custom solutions available.
- SIP Analog Modem Server (SAMS)
- Modem over IP
- Virtual Modem Server
- Fax Communications
- VoIP Communications
- Analog Adapter Designs
- VoIP Effects on Data Modem Communication