Multi-Band Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) software is audio signal processing algorithm which limits the difference between the minimum and maximum signal levels. VOCAL’s Dynamic Range Compression is available as an individual software library module or as part of VOCAL’s customizable Voice Quality Enhancement (VQE) SDK.
DRC is a useful signal processing tool for both playback and capture audio. DRC is often implemented after Automatic Gain Control (AGC) in a VQE package to help minimize the effect of overshoot artifacts. Multi-band DRC is critically important for products that need to adhere to ITU and TIA Telephone performance standards. Multi-band DRC provides the implementer the flexibility and control to compress the frequency bands as needed to meet loudness requirements.
Dynamic Range Compression Features
- C callable functions
- Floating point and optimized fixed-point code available
- Narrowband (8kHz) to Full-band (48kHz) sampling rates supported
- 16-bit and 32-bit (for 24-bit audio samples) API
- Multiple Knee Point Configuration Parameters
- Knee Point Threshold
- Upward or Downward Compression
- Hard or Soft Knee
- Compression Ratio
- Attack and Release Times
- The number of bands and bandwidth configurable upon request
Dynamic Range Compression Applications
- Large Conference Room Speakerphones
- Bluetooth Headsets
- VoIP Softphones
- IP Intercoms
- Handheld PTT Radios
- TIA-4953 compliant telephone devices
- Any application where the audio signal needs to constrained to a SPL range
VOCAL’s dynamic range compression software is available for the following platforms. Please contact us for specific vocoder supported platforms and performance information.