Real Time Streaming Protocol, or RTSP, is used to control real-time streaming media applications such as live audio and HD video streaming. The software establishes a media session between RTSP end-points and initiates RTP streams to deliver the audio and video payload from the RTSP media servers to the clients.
VOCAL’s RTSP protocol source code is optimized for DSPs and conventional processors from ADI, TI, Intel, ARM and other vendors. RTSP software may be licensed as a library or part of a complete design. Custom solutions are also available. Contact us to discuss your specific requirements for RTSP media streaming.
- RFC 2326 compliant
- Use RTSP with HTTP to control media sessions
- Stream to multiple destinations with different bitrates simultaneously
- Support multiple RTP streams
RTSP – Real-Time Streaming Protocol
RTSP is a network control protocol used to establish and control media sessions between end points. Clients issue commands to control playback of media files from one or more RTSP media servers. RTSP uses TCP to maintain an end-to-end connection while the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) is typically used for delivery of media streams over UDP.
RTSP may interact with HTTP such that different hand-off points are specified between a web server and a media server. This allows, for example, a presentation description file to be requested using RTSP or HTTP. The description file identifies the media stream(s) with encoding, language, and other parameters to enable a RTSP client to select an appropriate combination of media for the presentation.
RTSP defines a session state to be able to correlate RTSP requests with a stream.
- Setup allocates server resources for a stream and starts an RTSP session.
- Play and Record start data transmission on the allocated stream.
- Pause temporarily halts data transmission on a stream.
- Teardown terminates the RTSP session and frees resources allocated for the stream.
VOCAL’s optimized software is available for the following platforms. Please contact us for specific RTSP supported platforms.